Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Judgemental

A lot of things to be bitched about today.

Don't know why. It all came at a time.

#1
Went to McD drive through today. I bought dinner for Ernie and I requested a receipt so that I can claim the money back from him. It's ok when they said they run out of receipts.

What I wasn't happy about is what he said after that. "We have checked. Everything is inside already."

For your information, I need the receipt because I need to claim from Ernie. Not because I didn't trust you guys. By the way, my friends and I already had experience where food is missing from the drive through orders.

#2
Today took emergency leave as wasn't able to wake up to go to work. But manager said I must come to the meeting. So I did.

There were two points that I wasn't happy about but I brought it up in the meeting because I think he needs a different perspective for his opinion.

He said in order to move up one must not rely entirely on technical skills. Management skills are the only way to move up.

Ok. Here's the thing. You can't humiliate other people's passion. Some people just love programming in their job. It's something that they like to do and it's the best they can offer to the corporation. You can't deny them opportunities.

He also said that we should not grab all the programming assignments to ourselves.

Hey, as a good team mate, I think it's natural to help out others to do programming tasks so that the whole team can catch up with deadlines. It's for the sake of the whole team. You can't just let your teammates die right there.

He said it's common for people tend not to accept new way of things. Because it will add them more workload (without a raise). They will start to raise questions and seek explanations. He labelled these people "incorporative".

Excuse me, we ask questions because we need a reasonable purpose. So that we know what we are doing. Would you rather a person to bury all the frustrations at heart and hate what he/she is doing and as a result, the work relationship becomes worse? Is it wrong now to seek reasons on new procedures?

Although I bitched a lot here, but fundamentally I don't hate people. I want to make our team a success. I want to be co-operative as much as I could. I want to contribute the best I can. But there's just one thing I can't tolerate - unfair judgement and labelling.

No comments: