Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Stress do have a direct link to hard-to-cure ailments!

Today Japanese Prime Minister Mr. Kobe has just announced his resignation. He was admitted to the hospital being diagnosed as having medical conditions due to the stress he had been through for the past few months. Although some people speculated that he resigned because of a few issues that happenned in his ministry, I still believe that Mr. Kobe do have medical complications.

This reminds me of my close friend Joey who have passed away few months ago. She has been working too hard for the past two years. She used to work in the office until 11pm and midnight for almost everyday. Weekend was also her work day too! Then she was diagnosed as having brain tumors which causes strange symptoms in her body. You may say that it is not caused by stress. But her family does not have cancer history and she does not smoke nor drink! How do you explain that?

I do not know since when Malaysian working culture is gearing toward "white collar sweat shop". The bosses do not stand to see employees to leave work a bit early, even once in a while. Even leaving on half an hour after office hours is considered leaving early.

Today my assistant manager told me that my bosses likes to push their employees by assigning multiple jobs for them to juggle. They said under stressed conditions then only you can push your limit to produce as much work in a short time and with efficiency. I strongly believe that was an evil thinking and they are killing us slowly! They may say that if you don't like it you can leave the company. Well you bet I will if you push me to the far limit. I won't let you murder me!

Some of us may just have to bow to their fate and just work as hard as they could, hoping to make their boss happy. We are so depressed, unhappy and can't enjoy our work. Some of us said that they are stuck as current company pays well and they can't afford to lose their pension.

Hey, what's the use if you have a sum of pension and at the end you have to use them up for your hefty medical bills after finding that the prolong stress has caused health problems?

One of my colleague can save a grant a month. To do this, he does not go out or socialize a lot. Joining gym is considered wasting money etc. I have told him that one day if he really has to pass away, drawing the last breath and thinking of what he has done for his life, will he think that he has had a happy life? Wouldn't he wish at that moment that the clock could turn back so that if he could choose, he would choose to enjoy life? (Sorry hun, you are my best bud in the company but I'm really worried about your life)

Maybe he does not think so. But Joey has taught me a lesson. And I would not want that to happen to me. Life is short. Youth is even shorter. One day when I am old and unable, I want to be able to say "I'd been there and done that". No regrets.

2 comments:

The Malaysia Traveller said...

I always believe there should be a balance between work and life. Don't let work take over your life entirely and become like me, now diagnose with high blood.

Take care ok? Hugs.

spaceseeker said...

yeah la.... must take care of health... we are fragile u know :)