Wednesday, November 19, 2008

安全到家 Dido – Safe Trip Home

dido  front

This is an album from Dido that I have been waiting for. I have previewed her Don’t Believe In Love and Look No Further earlier. Frankly, these two tracks disappointed me at first. I thought it just sounds so ordinary and could not have been the main singles from the album.

But that’s what Dido is selling. Ordinary. Real. She is not selling any image nor any pop trend. She is just selling her voice and words. That is just so her and she is not pretending at all. She is really what-you-see-is-what-you-get. That’s what so unique about this artist.

Somehow I feel that this album is not intended to sell internationally. The music, the titles and the lyrics are very locally British. For example, Grafton Street. Do you know if it’s even a London street?

This album is different from her previous two. There’s really nothing commercial about it. In the previous two, she would instils some commercialism into the songs, like White Flag, Stoned, Here With Me etc. But this entire album is really just about her. I’m really not sure whether this album will reach a wider audience.

Nevertheless, I still like this album a lot. She’s my favourite singer. I really love her voice. You will feel being loved when listening to her songs. It takes just a short while to start to like her songs. Try it.

All the great tracks are at the beginning of the album. The first six songs are my faves: Don’t Believe In Love, Quiet Times, Never Want to Say It’s Love, Grafton Street, It Comes and It Goes and Look No Further.

No comments: