Went to MH's potluck dinner on Saturday. It was a small one but I had a great time. I have a friend working as a job head hunter. When asked about the current job market in Malaysia, he said IT and Oil & Gas industry are the most doing well industries. I was surprised.
When asked about financial industry, he said the outlook was not so good given the fact that the current interest rates and the uncollected credit debts from the customers.
Insurance industry is affected too. When the economy is not doing so well, coupled with inflations as a result of gas price hike, a lot of people stop paying their insurance premiums. Some may lead to policy lapse, which could affect insurance company's earning.
I am working in an insurance company. I think my bonus compensation next year should be less than this year :-(
But nonetheless, it's time for me to increase my job market value. But I'm not going to take technical courses which is going to change each year. Because it does not have a persistent value and you always have to pay for new courses in short term in order to catch up.
I need something more persistent in value. I know it's the soft skills and management knowledge that I need to improve. Given that the focus of most big corporation is on their people and employee, team values and interpersonal skills are becoming increasingly important.
So I'll start to read relevant books. So far I'm not doing so well as I lack of self discipline. But I'm going to do it bit by bit. It's something I want to achieve.


No comments:
Post a Comment