Monday, December 7, 2009

Nokia Experience - Connecting People.. with crappy phones

Nokia used to be the pioneer in the cell phone industry. They used to produced solid and durable cell phones. As time goes by, they somehow lose this grip of good product principles.

I am not sure if you have the same experience as me. But cell phones with this OS always hang, restart on its own or make items disappear. The sales person's before sale service is exceptionally friendly and good but suck at the after sale service. All they know is only how to sell a phone to a customer. When you have questions about the phone after buying it, either they don't provide you a concrete answer or try to make you wait for their call back.

After a week of purchasing a touchscreen phone, the element on the screen did not work. I went back to the sales person then she said they need to replace the touch panel. But as there was no stock, she advised me to wait for their call. I waited for a week and they did not call back. When I followed up, she there is still no stock. I have followed up each week and they said the same thing. After a month of frustration, I went to the store and they still gave the same reason.

After that I found out that I need to go to their care centre directly. Their sales person would not care about even directing you to their care centre. I felt that was the trick they use for not providing after sale service! It's impossible that the part can be out of stock for more than over a month. I stopped following up and they have never call back neither.

After a month or so, my phone's wifi and bluetooth function malfunctioned. This time I thought I was a smart ass I went to the Nokia care centre. I told them the problem about my screen and the wifi/bluetooth. It was specifically printed on the service slip.

After two hours of wait, I went to collect my phone. I handed the slip to the technician. I saw he was in discussion with another technician for a very long time. Maybe I already had a negative impression with their staff. I suspected something was amidst. He finally came out and handed me the phone. They did a flush on my phone and everything was gone. But I acknowledged that before I agreed to send in the phone. The technician passed me the paper and handed me a pen. I felt that he was pushing me to sign the paper. Another trick. So I ignored his gesture and continue to test the phone.

The wifi/bluetooth still did not work! Then only he told me that their centre only can provide flush service. He said that my hardware is having problem and I should go to the head quarter for service. I can pass the phone to him but it will take a month. So he suggested me to go to the HQ directly for faster service, usually 1 - 3 days.

I wasted two hours. Why didn't he tell me earlier? I was ok with this because I can do some shopping and coffee during this hour. But what I did not like is that he was trying to push me to sign the paper before letting me check the phone. I really hate dishonest people using tricks!

After this experience I swear I would never buy another Nokia handset again.

No comments: