Saturday, January 5, 2008

Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree

200px-Goldfrapp_Seventh_Tree

Yeah, my favorite artist is coming out with a new album next month. No more glam rock (Ooh La La, Ride a White Horse, Strict Machine) for them. It's back to Felt Mountain style!

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with their first debut album. I was first very much in love with their "Lovely Head", "Pilot" and "Utopia" tracks.

I was kinda disappointed when "Black Cherry" was out because it did not retain much of its debut album style. Some of the tracks like "TipToe" sounded very rock-trashy.

However, the more I listen to it the more I like it. And "Supernature" was quite a full fledged glam rock album. I can't say I don't like it as the previous album has already prepared their fans to their sudden change in their music taste.

I'm glad that Seventh Tree is back to the Felt Mountain era, but this time it's even better and richer. The lead singer, Allison Goldfrapp, has showcased her best vocal in this album. Low pitch, high pitch and tricky vocal twist are all interweaved throughout the tracks. Such vocal technique is very prominent in tracks like "Little Bird" and "Cologne Cerrone Houdini" (my favourite track).

"A&E" will be their first single. I like this song because it reminds me of Cocteau Twins. If you like this vintage artist, you will like this track.

Much to say, this album is definitely on top of my iPod playlist now :-)

No comments: